Website s2 Corporation
At S2 Corporation, we are advancing extreme wideband sensors, expanding the possibilities and capabilities of radio frequency and data signal processing in a dynamic environment.
S2 Corporation is seeking to fill the position of an entry level embedded electronics engineer who would work jointly with lead embedded electronics engineers to support the design, development and testing of electronic hardware and firmware needed for monitoring and controlling off-the-shelf optical components, cryo-coolers and system packaging components. There are also opportunities to design and develop test beds and systems for various photonics and mechanical engineering projects. This job includes integrating already developed technology into the desired application and designing new circuits where currently available hardware is not available.
- Work with lead electronics engineering to support photonics and mechanical teams to translate system sensor and optical component control into hardware specifications.
- Assist in the design of digital and electronic circuits at the PCB level.
- Assist lead engineer with embedded system design using Linux single board computers.
- Assist lead engineer with PCB layout design reviews.
- Writes and maintains microcontroller firmware.
- Implements communication electrical specifications and protocols as required, such as: I2C, SPI, Bluetooth, USB, BACnet, Modbus, RS-232, RS-485.
- Designs and maintains test fixtures.
- Investigates the cause of product failures of a firmware or electronics nature and recommends and implements corrective action.
The successful candidate will have most or all of these essential skills or abilities:
- B.S. in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or similar.
- 0-3 years of relevant industry experience, or new college graduates with exceptional lab / project experience.
- Experience in Matlab, Python, C++ or equivalent.
- Experience in Schematic and PCB layout using Altium or equivalent.
- Experience in the use of test and measurement equipment.
- Expertise with common aspects of embedded software: real-time interrupts, watchdog, timers, data corruption prevention, serial communications, signal digitization and data structures, object-oriented design.
- Selecting, purchasing and setting up commercially available RF electronics and photonics components.
Desirable Skills & Abilities:
- Firmware/software design, architecture, and documentation experience and capabilities.
- Analog and digital circuit design, component selection and PCB layout for high-speed digital, and low-noise analog devices, using professional E-CAD software (preferably Altium Designer).
- Familiarity with
- Power supplies (switching and linear), battery chargers.
- Optical, electrochemical, thermal, and high accuracy electrical current sensing.
- Electric motor driving circuits and control software for DC, BLDC, stepper motors and servos.
- Display hardware, including LED indicators, LED segment displays, OLED and LCD panels.
- Electronic skills required for understanding and contributing to design and debugging.
- Electronic assembly skills as required for building, debugging and modifying prototype circuits.
- Ability to identify multiple solutions to problems and to select the best option based on product requirements and consensus from the design team.
- Proficient with test and measurement equipment including: multimeters, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, electronic loads, In-Circuit Debuggers (JTAG), DAQ, and soldering stations.
- Be available to travel to field test events several times a year which may include driving company vehicles, working extended hours outside for several days.
S2 Corporation’s General Employee Requirements:
- The position includes working on U. S. Government funded projects that involve the handling of controlled unclassified information, requiring the successful candidate to have U. S. Citizenship.
- This position may include working on defense department funded projects with security restrictions, which may require a security clearance. The successful candidate must be willing and able to apply for a security clearance.
- The successful candidate will have to pass a preemployment drug test and background check.
- Be able to perform physical tasks around the lab and office spaces such as sitting and standing, each for at least an hour multiple times throughout a day, and occasional lifting of items up to 50lbs.
- Attend required organizational meetings in person or through videoconferencing.
- Clear communication of your efforts so that others can reproduce your efforts as needed.
- Efficiently use word processing, spreadsheet, time reporting, procurement and other software.
- Ability to describe technical progress in project deliverable reports.
- Ability to assist in writing funding proposals.
- Ability to interpret general guidelines and work alone for extended periods to efficiently move projects forward.
- Ability, willingness, and availability to travel to field test events up to several times a year, which may include driving company vehicles and working extended hours outside for several days.
- Ability to function as part of a team, that is highly collaborative, cross-functional and multi-disciplinary on multiple projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with ability to communicate clearly with coworkers, through in-person conversations, email, and on line in organizational software, such as Microsoft Teams.
- Ability to independently learn and apply new approaches and technologies in order to find solutions to complex problems.
S2 Corporation reserves the right to hire none, one, or several candidates for this position. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.s2corporation.com.